December 2019 NOTE ~~ AFTER THE JOURNEY: |
I was able to visit everywhere I proposed, I kept a daily journal and I even made some art!
I was able to send art and postcards to those who contributed at a certain level.
When the trip finished, other demands from my life and job took presidence.
BUT, this project is not over yet!
I am applying for a 7 week residency at Joshua Tree National Park.
I am applying for this residency to have time and space
to create surreal works based on TRAVEL and PLACE.
WHAT and WHY?: |
Before this whole thing began, I had envisioned going on an artist travel residency experience for years, but I could never find the right opportunity, or the timing was off, or I didn't have time to properly apply for any opportunities that came along. (Or I did apply and didn't get anywhere.)
* I wanted a travel experience that would inspire my artistic path.
* I wanted an opportunity that would allow me to meander through experiences without every element being planned for.
* I wanted to CODDIWOMPLE. ( “to travel in a purposeful manner towards a vague destination” )
So I decided to make my OWN opportunity, and I find myself about to embark on a nearly month long Experimental Coddiwomple Adventure!
In mid May 2019, I will take the Amtrak train "California Zephyr" its whole length -
from Chicago, IL. to Emeryville, California near San Francisco. Over the next 3 weeks I will be interpreting my travel whims using my
sketchbook, camera and blog. I may even throw in some poetry for good measure.
My destinations over the first 2 weeks are mainly determined by where the couches of my friends are located.
Pinnacles National Park and Joshua Tree National Park will be a part of this adventure.
After week 2, I will say farewell to California, meet a friend in New Mexico, visit Meow Wolf, and then meander back to Indiana.
DURING THE JOURNEY:
Lydia will be sharing her journey on social media and blogger.
THE MAD ARTIST LYDIA TRAVELS BLOG HAS ALREADY BEGUN! ---
VISIT https://madartistlydia.blogspot.com/ !
Follow her on social media:
Instagram handle: MadArtistLydia
AFTER THE JOURNEY:
* Lydia will be creating artwork inspired by her journey, and composing a travel journal publication... Excuse me... a SURREAL *ART* travel publication.
Creative interpretations of the entire journey using sketches and photos, words, and mixed media art.
* She plans to reveal a new body of work in 2020 inspired by the experience of her travels.
* Sarah Mercado|
* A. and I.
* E. Stanley
* Nancy Lee
* Frank Fu
* Sir Anonymous
* Unnamed Donors who contributed to my Travel Tip Jar at my last Open studio event!
* Others who wish to remain anonymous.
* David Alusik ~ for his unending support and encouragement!
* My Couch Surfing Peeps and Travel Partners!